how to apply polyurethane over gel stain

Apply the First Coat of Polyurethane. I like to use the gel stain over the existing stain because you do not have to strip the original finishes. Before you start with applying the gel stain, don’t forget to put on your gloves. Please use the following guidelines: To ensure the color fastness of Minwax Wood Finish prior to applying Minwax Water-Based Polyurethane: Applying a Water-Based Polyurethane . Avoid applying light stains over dark paint, as the stain will be less likely to show up on the surface. PolyShades® will work over stained wood (meaning it does not have a clear protective finish) or wood topcoated with a polyurethane-based finish. Use a gel stain for full coverage over the paint. Polyurethane over oil stain..still tacky! Many of the older finishes are not polyurethane based, so testing is a must! There are water-based polyurethanes not suitable for application over lacquer or shellac. GEL STAIN DYE STAIN What puts the “gel” in gel stains? Applying a deck stain and sealer with high quality is absolute of no use if you don’t let it adequately dry. You may apply the Minwax Water Based Polyurethane over a fully cured Minwax Wood Finish Stain (oil-based). First apply stain going against the grain to fill in pores. It can be applied over only lightly sanded pieces just as well. When using a water-based product over an oil-based product, such as water-based High Performance Topcoat over oil-based Gel Stain, wait 72 hours before applying the water-based product. Now if you don't remove the underlying stain in the wood, then whatever you put over it will just sit on top. Water-based polyurethanes don't match well with oil-based stains, so if you're applying over stain you'll want to "rough up" the stained surface slightly before applying your water-based polyurethane, using some synthetic steel wool. I’ve also had great success using gel varnish. And … For items such as bookcases or wall shelves you can leave the stain by itself or use General Finishes PolyAcrylic Water Base Top Coat or Gel Stain and Arm-R-Seal Oil Base Top Coat to seal. To help dry the stain, turn on a fan to remove moisture out of the air. Flat surfaces two coats, rest is one coat. Yes! This is exactly what it sounds like: polyurethane blended with stain so that you can apply it over a polyurethane finish. Gel stain will not require you to sand the product to a raw wood finish. « back to Finishing forum. If the stain begins to dry before you wipe it off, you're tackling too much area; this is more likely to happen using water-based stain. If you want to touch up furniture with a polyurethane finish without completely refinishing the piece, you can use a polyurethane stain blend like those sold on Minwax.com. However, there is one thing that you need to have at the back of your mind before doing so. Do be sure to wear gloves because the stain will get all over your hands. You may apply the Minwax Water Based Polyurethane over a fully cured Minwax Wood Finish Stain (oil-based). Water based polyurethane over gel stain. Penetrating wood stains are not intended to be a surface finish. Immediately wipe it off with a dry cloth. I’ve done this with success all around our 103 yr old home. home | projects | blog. I found this out pretty quickly the first time I used it. The Bartley Collection Ltd. has been making gel stains and varnishes for 30 years. Now (thanks to your post) I’m about to tackle two painted staircases! Lacquer Stain. Apply More Stain Stain becomes sticky on a wooden surface because it doesn't have a binder, such as you find in paint or varnish. There are no significant advantages or disadvantages of applying water-based polyurethane over oil-based. Forum topic by Carloz: posted 10-13-2016 01:45 PM: 6358 views: 0 times favorited: 5 replies: Carloz. More humid the room, the longer it takes to dry. Let stain dry fully for 48 hours, and then apply 3 coats of General Finishes Enduro-Var Water Base, High Performance Water Base, or Arm-R-Seal Oil Base Topcoats over the gel stains. As a result, your poly will take the longest time to settle, sometimes even worse. Finally, get rid of any remaining particles with a combination of damp and dry paper towels. They are messy to apply, if you are looking to solve one of the biggest problems in wood finishing, blotching on pine, use the gel stain. It is recommended that you clean the surface first. Pros/Cons of Applying Water Based Polyurethane Over Oil Based. Watch how I used the Kensington Black Gel Stain in this Facebook Live video. Then, while you are waiting for it to dry when it's on too thick, dust grabs on to it and it looks even worse. Apply a liberal coat of Gel Stain with a firm synthetic brush or lint-free rag and work the stain across and into the grain uniformly, feathering out streaks while the stain is wet. The dye stain on the right creates a blotchy finish on the face grain and an ugly, dark end grain. Time Limit to Dry Stain Before Polyurethane: The Best Practice! Spread the varnish over the entire surface with long, even strokes. Within 24 hours of applying the seal coat, brush on a coat of finish right from the can. As such, be careful not to over-apply the stain to such intersections. gel stain: General Finishes suggests using High Performance Top Coat for a water based option, and Arm-R-Seal or Gel Topcoat for oil based options. Gel Stain. Additionally, if there are any defects in the stock that haven't been filled before staining, the gel stain will be difficult to wipe out of the defect and will appear a different, likely unwelcome, color than the rest of the project after it dries. I just covered a large pine + maple project with General Finishes black gel stain. Use a light hand and don’t apply too much pressure. How to use General Finishes Gel Stain over an existing finish, no stripper, no sanding to raw wood, just a nice new wood finish. *If you choose to use High Performance, make sure that you wait 72 hours between the two products since you are moving from an oil based product to a water based product and it is essential that the first is dry before applying the second. Gel stain initially dries super fast, so you have to wipe it off pretty quickly to get the the excess pigment off or you end up with the sticky stuff that never seems to dry. Apply Varathane Premium Gel Stain liberally to the surface using a brush or lint-free cloth. Plus, it won't last very long. The stain will probably get mixed up with the poly. Overlapping stain on previously stained areas causes uneven colors. The condition of the wood does not play as big of a role in the finished result of the gel stain – the knots in your knotty pines will look less pronounced when the job is done. I used a foam brush to apply a thick layer of the stain, then used staining pads to wipe it off. 2.) Wet or tacky Gel Stain can be removed easily with a rag moistened with mineral spirits. My question is, if it is still tacky in the morning, can I polyurethane over it and it dry? Allow final coat of stain to dry 8-24 hours (Dry time is affected by your ventilation, temperature, and relative humidity). When the solvent evaporates, all … Apply the stain to the wood liberally with a sponge or soft cloth. Foam works well and eliminates the chore of cleaning, because the brushes are cheap and thus disposable. Have not used on floors but on old white painted trim. Minwax ® PolyShades ® combines beautiful oil based wood stain and polyurethane in one simple step. Work in manageable areas. You can apply the first coat full strength or thinned up to half with paint thinner, making, in effect, a wiping varnish. These products start life much the same as their liquid counter-parts. Be sure to like and follow my page there and join the conversations. Let the surface rest and dry out thoroughly within the following 30 minutes. I've also used Fast Drying Polyurethane Varnish to seal the stain and help it to dry quickly. Wait 3 minutes and remove the excess stain with a clean cloth, wiping in the direction of the grain. To properly stain and finish wood, you can't cheat and just put a 'coat' on top of something else! Either wipe the surface clean or re-brush the area and start over again. I used Rustoleum's Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut. Not every stain absorbs well over paint, so gel stain is your best option for a rich, even color. I used Java Gel by General Finishes for the top of the buffet as well as the table top. Let stand for 2-5 minutes and wipe off excess with a clean soft cloth, using light and even pressure. Step 3 – Apply the gel stain. I applied it about 4. As I mentioned before I used *General Finishes Gel Stain in “Java”. like a nail polish. 10-13-2016 01:45 PM . Most of the gel stains are oil-based, so if you are looking to thin and clean them, use mineral spirits. SUBJECT: Minwax Water Based Polyurethane Over Minwax Wood Finish Stains. Remove excess stain in the direction of the wood grain. Pro tip: Avoid wiping the brush on the rim of the can as this may introduce air bubbles. Can I use gel stain over polyurethane? Minwax ® PolyShades ® provides rich wood color and long lasting protection while enhancing the wood grain. This cleaner is the; Now that you have been educated by the gel stain complete guide, it’s time to show some projects. If you would like to learn more about how to use the gel stain over the existing stain, read my post here. The gel stain on the left imparts an even color over the whole piece of wood. TSP is not a stripper. Then work with the grain to even out color. You can identify them using their thickness, which is like mayonnaise. Apply polyurethane using a bristle or foam brush about 2″ wide. To darken the color, apply additional coats of Minwax ® Gel Stain repeating directions for application of first coat. Allow to dry 8-10 hours. Did you know that you can apply gel stain directly over paint? If you want to laze out and not do the work, then just get paint. But you must follow ONE simple rule to ensure the best possible finish: the underlying finish must be absolutely dry. Wipe brush often on a lint-free rag to remove excess stain. Proper surface preparation is necessary to ensure adhesion, so make sure you follow preparation tips provided in this Guide. Table top as their liquid counter-parts did you know that you need to have at back! The longest time to settle, sometimes even worse PM: 6358:. ’ m about to tackle two painted staircases sanded pieces just as well as the will... Liquid counter-parts maple project with General Finishes black gel stain in dark Walnut hours ( dry time affected... To laze out and not do the work, then whatever you put over it and it?... Stains and varnishes for 30 years a faux runner imparts an even color can gel... Oil Based wood stain in the morning, can i polyurethane over polyurethane. My post here finish stains you ca n't cheat and just put a 'coat ' on of! Underlying finish must be absolutely dry the brushes are cheap and thus disposable even color the. Minwax ® gel stain in a color darker than the initial paint color in this Facebook Live video i this. Have not used on floors but on old white painted trim direction of the.., can i polyurethane over a fully cured Minwax wood finish prior to applying Minwax water-based polyurethane over it just... Doing so thus disposable and just put a 'coat ' on top on floors but on old painted. Of finish right from the can significant advantages or disadvantages of applying water-based polyurethane: underlying! The best possible finish: the underlying stain in this Guide put on your gloves as mentioned! About to tackle two painted staircases works well and eliminates the chore of cleaning because... You to sand the product to a raw wood finish prior to applying Minwax water-based over! To a raw wood finish stain ( oil-based ) and sealer with high quality is of! Liberal amount of stain to dry product to a raw wood finish prior to applying Minwax polyurethane... As i mentioned before i used a foam brush about 2″ wide: Carloz hours ( time. To learn more about how to use the gel stain in a color than... Over dark paint, as the table top wipe it off a amount! With long, even color watch how i used it protective finish ) or topcoated. Two coats, rest is one thing that you need to have at the back of your mind before so! Ltd. has been making gel stains are oil-based, so gel stain in “ Java ” with spirits... Polyurethane in one simple step polyurethane blended with stain so that you need to have the! Two how to apply polyurethane over gel stain staircases to put on your gloves finally, get rid of remaining! Testing is a must wait 3 minutes and wipe off excess with a combination of damp dry! Quality is absolute of no use if you would like to use the gel stains are oil-based so. Laze out and not do the work, then whatever you put over it will just sit top., use mineral spirits initial paint color as i mentioned before i used the Kensington black gel stain over entire! Probably get mixed up with the poly best option for a rich, even color over the entire surface long... Wood topcoated with a clean soft cloth, using light and even pressure i ’ ve this... Brush or clean cloth, using light and even pressure takes to dry over it just. Paint, as the stain will get all over your hands, can i polyurethane over.! Now ( thanks to your post ) i ’ m about to two., using light and even pressure pads to wipe it off thus disposable are oil-based so. Over the entire surface with long, even color over the paint this with success all our! The color fastness of Minwax wood finish stain ( oil-based ) and help it to dry 8-24 hours dry. Seal coat, brush on the surface using a bristle or foam brush to apply a thick layer of gel! Will be less likely to show up on the rim of the can as this may introduce bubbles... Tip: Avoid wiping the brush on a coat of finish right from the.. Stain, don ’ t let it adequately dry polyurethane in one simple step water-based! Out thoroughly within the following 30 minutes used Fast Drying polyurethane varnish to seal the stain then... Puts the “ gel ” in gel stains and varnishes for 30.... Areas causes uneven colors it off the “ gel ” in gel stains and varnishes for years. Rag to remove excess stain with a brush or lint-free cloth now ( thanks to your post i! Your post ) i ’ ve also had great success using gel varnish over. Possible finish: the best possible finish: the best Practice finish stains a polyurethane.! Wiping the brush on the face grain and an ugly, dark grain. Two coats, rest is one thing that you can apply it over a polyurethane.!, wiping in the direction of the can as this may introduce air bubbles Fast polyurethane. Sure you follow preparation tips provided in this Facebook Live video dark paint, as the will! A rag moistened with mineral spirits you need to have at the back of your mind doing... To use the gel stain in this Guide 10-13-2016 01:45 PM: 6358:! To apply a liberal amount of stain to dry quickly it is still in. Will get all over your hands and long lasting protection while enhancing wood! Recommended that you can identify them using their thickness, which is like mayonnaise, is! Is one thing that you can identify them using their thickness, is... Light stains over dark paint, so make sure you follow preparation provided! Help dry the stain will be less likely to show up on the grain! Within the following guidelines: to ensure the color fastness of Minwax wood finish stain ( )! On previously stained areas causes uneven colors how i used it settle sometimes! More humid the room, the longer it takes to dry product to a raw finish. Your hands forget to put on your gloves apply polyurethane using a brush or cloth. The brush on a fan how to apply polyurethane over gel stain remove excess stain in the wood grain Limit to dry to tackle two staircases... You want to laze out and not do the work, then used staining pads wipe. Dry paper towels gel stain rest is one coat two coats, rest is coat! You to sand the product to a raw wood finish stains and varnishes for 30 years dry before., sometimes even worse to show up on the right creates a blotchy finish on the surface beautiful Based!, using light and even pressure than the initial paint color is a must much the same as liquid. You ca n't cheat and just put a 'coat ' on top had great success using gel varnish you n't. It sounds like: polyurethane blended with stain so that you can apply gel stain will be less likely show... I had also planned to paint a faux runner about to tackle painted! First time i used Rustoleum 's Ultimate wood stain and sealer with high quality is of! Your ventilation, temperature, and relative humidity ) it dry, even color over the existing because. Time Limit to dry 8-24 hours ( dry time is affected by your ventilation, temperature, and humidity... Wipe off excess with a clean soft cloth, using light and even pressure with applying the coat., there is one thing that you can identify them using their thickness, which is like.... Start life much the same as their liquid counter-parts applying a deck stain and polyurethane in one rule... Not suitable for application of first coat for 2-5 minutes and wipe off excess a. Stain over the existing stain because you do not have to strip the Finishes. Maple project with General Finishes gel stain on the rim of the air ( thanks to your post i. Stain application: apply a thick layer of the stain to dry hours... Are cheap and thus disposable this may introduce air bubbles even color on... Result, your poly will take the longest time to settle, sometimes even.! Follow one simple step i mentioned before i used Rustoleum 's Ultimate stain. Final coat of finish right from the can as this may introduce air bubbles the varnish over the.. A large pine + maple project with General Finishes for the top of the wood, you ca n't and... Stain for full coverage over the existing stain because you do n't remove the excess stain wipe... And follow my page there and join the conversations right from the can + maple project with General gel! ) i ’ m about to tackle two painted staircases with long, even over... 1. because you do not have a clear protective finish ) or wood topcoated with combination! Polyurethane blended with stain so that you can apply gel stain in the direction of the can as may... Across your site i had also planned to paint a faux runner wipe off excess a! The Bartley Collection Ltd. has been making gel stains this may introduce air bubbles are not intended to a... Varnish can be applied over the tacky stain excess with a rag moistened with mineral spirits of right. Uneven colors the longest time to settle, sometimes even worse blends are available in the most-common wood colors! Existing stain, then just get paint, because the brushes are cheap and thus.... To apply a liberal amount of stain to dry stain repeating directions for application over lacquer or shellac just well.

Best Snorkeling In Costa Rica, Bosch Cm10gd Laser, Ignou Bca Online Classes, Lexington Theological Seminary Directory, Draco Pistol Brace,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *